Shall be responsible for the safe and efficient operation of all areas of the facility while adhering to company policies and procedures, applicable state and federal guidelines and other regulatory requirements. Ensures equipment is operated within allowable parameters to meet required production requirements of the facility. Provides guidance as required to others to assist in resolving complex operational issues and to ensure personnel are properly trained and qualified.
Essential duties and functions may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- With limited supervision, oversees and operates the plant processes and electrical distribution systems through plant distributive control system (DCS) and other process control devices.
- Accurately forecasts fuel and generation nominations based on plant load conditions.
- Monitors the operation and performance of the facility.
- Participates in daily maintenance requirements, plant configuration changes, and ensures production levels are met.
- Reviews logsheets and permits to ensure adherence to known operating envelopes and regulatory compliance. Initiates connective actions for items that are not operating within known parameters or guidelines.
- Identifies problems with plant equipment and clearly communicates the conditions associated with these problems to the Operations and/ or the Maintenance Manager. Ensures problems are properly documented in the plant's computerized maintenance management system (CMMS).
- Participates in plant training and qualification programs. Provides leadership to others for departmental development.
- Takes appropriate action when necessary to ensure compliance of safety, efficiency, environmental, and administrative guidelines.
- Assists with operating budget development.
- Strives to maintain an injury free environment through understanding and adhering to all plant safety guidelines and procedures. Actively participates in Plant Safety Committee meetings.
- Compliance with and consistent application of personnel policies and procedures.
- Leads team performance and development through utilization of a cooperative team approach.
- Resource management in a manner consistent with organization mission, elements of growth and priorities.
- Compliance with site prepared directives, standards and policies.
- Excellent corporate citizenship within the community.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- General knowledge of power technology.
- Knowledge of all areas of the plant.
- Develops, reviews, and maintains procedures, P&IDs and electrical one-lines.
- Knowlede and demonstrated successful application of safety and environmental procedures and regulations.
- Demonstrated Intermediate computer skills.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written) and interpersonal skills are a must.
- Demonstrated capacity for leadership and supervisory responsibilities which includes a focus on continuous development of competencies/skills for both self and team.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated excellent attendance practices.
Required Background and Experience
- Minimum of 5 years industry or related experience in the management, operation, and maintenance of thermal electrical generating facilities, including gas-fired thermal electric generating facilities.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Some supersivory experience preferred.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to provide proof of legal authorization to work in the US on a full time basis for anyone other than current employer.
All plant employees must work safely at all times. Working at the power plant may require:
- Working in varied outdoor environments such as all weather conditions, all noise levels, hazardous conditions, and on the full range of outdoor work surfaces.
- The frequent use of protective equipment (i.e. hard hats, safety glasses, air masks, ear protection, chemical suits, hot gloves and high voltage protective equipment, etc.) may be required. Work with hazardous materials may also be required.
- Working in proximity to high voltages and current with proper training and equipment, operating heavy equipment and rolling stock and entering confined spaces or hazardous environments may be required while often being exposed to equipment and machinery noises.
- Duties require walking, standing for extended periods of time, crawling, stooping, sitting, climbing vertical and inclined ladders and stairs, operation of large valves and other tasks requiring up to 100 lbs. of pulling or turning force, and lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs. Exposure to extreme heat and cold.
- Eye and hand coordination are required to operate switches, pushbuttons, and other controls.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus.
- All candidates will participate in the post-offer physical examination and drug screening and post-employment random drug screening. There are extensive smoking restrictions in and around the facility.
- This position requires extended working hours and varied shifts including weekend and holiday work. The ability to be "on call" may also be required periodically.