Plans, directs and coordinates activities concerned with design, construction, modification, compliance, and maintenance of power plant equipment and machinery.
Essential duties and functions may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Establish standards and policies for pollution control, installation, modification, quality control, testing, operating procedures, inspection, and maintenance of equipment.
- Directs employee technical training and administers technical portion of qualifications testing.
- Produces accurate, timely, and informative reports, both internal and external.
- Participates in the planning, preparation, scheduling, and work scope development for scheduled plant outages.
- Functions as Plant Manager as directed by same in his/her absence.
- Participates in troubleshooting plant problems.
- Focuses on areas for plant improvement including the areas of fuel savings, heat rate, safety, cost reduction, and operational simplicity. Provides technical guidance for projects that are implemented to address these issues.
- Prepares bid sheets and contracts for construction and facility maintenance.
- Helps with the preparation of the budget and administration of same.
- Tests newly installed machines and equipment to ensure fulfillment of contract specifications.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Comprehensive power plant knowledge.
- Effective writing and presentation skills.
- Superior knowledge of safety and environmental procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated capacity for leadership responsibilities which includes a focus on continuous development of competencies/skills for both self and others.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering.
- Seasoned professional: typically requires 5+ years of experience or an equivalent combination of education and directly related experience.
- Experience and demonstrated knowledge of and proficiency in a Computerized Maintenance Management System.
- Valid driver's license.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Working in varied outdoor environments such as all weather conditions, all noise levels, hazardous conditions, and on the full range of outdoor work surfaces.
- The frequent use of protective equipment (i.e. hard hats, safety glasses, air masks, ear protection, chemical suits, hot gloves and high voltage protective equipment, etc.) may be required. Work with hazardous materials may also be required.
- Working in proximity to high voltages and current with proper training and equipment, operating heavy equipment and rolling stock and entering confined spaces or hazardous environments may be required while often being exposed to equipment and machinery noises.
- Duties require walking, standing for extended periods of time, crawling, stooping, sitting, climbing vertical and inclined ladders and stairs, operation of large valves and other tasks requiring up to 100 lbs. of pulling or turning force, and lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs. Exposure to extreme heat and cold.
- Eye and hand coordination are required to operate switches, pushbuttons, and other controls.
- Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust and focus.
- All candidates will participate in the post-offer physical examination and drug screening and post-employment random drug screening. There are extensive smoking restrictions in and around the facility.
This position requires extended working hours and varied shifts including weekend and holiday work. The ability to be 'on call' may also be required periodically.